Thursday, February 5, 2009

Prayer Request

I found out last week that my grandmother is having some tests on her heart in a couple of weeks.

Apparently she was having some vitals taken in anticipation of needing a routine colonoscopy. The doctor thought he detected a heart murmur, and wanted this checked out before he would do the procedure. So she went to see her family doctor, who also heard the murmur, and suggested she go see a cardiologist.

My mom took her to see my dad’s cardiologist (he’s had open heart surgery, but that’s another story). My parents trust the opinion of this doctor so they chose him for Grandma’s visit. Anyway, as he listened, he also thought he detected a “whooshing” sound in her carotid arteries. These are the ones that run through your neck towards your brain. He also thought her pulse rate was low, which made him wonder….if her heart rate was low while she is awake, how low does it go while she’s sleeping? So he made her wear a heart monitor overnight. We do not yet know the results of this.

He wants her to have an echo cardiogram on her heart to determine why the heart rate is so low. He also wants to do an ultrasound on her neck to determine what the “whooshing” is all about. Needless to say, the colonoscopy has been postponed.


Grandma is one of these people who "never gets sick." Sure she gets a cold from time to time...we all do. She is almost 89 years old, and is not having any major problems. She is the oldest of her brothers and sisters...and she is in the best health of all of them. She has had her gall bladder removed and a knee replacement surgery and did great with both of them. These procedures happened several years ago and she's had nothing major since.

She will be having these tests on February 19th and 20th. I am praying that she will get great results, and I’m asking you to keep her in your prayers as well.

6 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

I'll be praying!

Diane Teague said...

I will pray for your grandmother. You are so blessed to still have your grandmother around. What a treasure.

Heather said...

We'll be praying. Keep us updated!

Jennifer said...

I will be praying for your grandmother. It is so great that you still have her. Kim and I lost all of our grandparents when we were very young.

On a lighter note you should give Jeremy a hard time about Wednesday night. I am a Carolina fan but he is a Duke fan. We normally don't watch any ACC games together because it usually leads to an argument. He was watching the game and I was watching something else in the other room. I flipped to the game during a commercial and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I have grown up watching ACC basketball and I have never known Duke to play that bad. I always tell Jeremy that Duke has skill and talent but they ALWAYS have luck on their side too. It didn't look like they had skill or luck Wednesday night. Congratulations Clemson!

KyleAmandaLogan said...

I will be praying for your grandmother. I lost all my grandparents before my high school graduation. I miss them dearly, but I know I will see them again one day. I will be praying!
~PS
I'm so glad we've become friends!!

Anonymous said...

i know i am praying for grandma :]]
i love her so much. but i am sure everything will work out. i love you kimmy :]]
-Hannah