Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Safety Tips of the Day

I've heard the most interesting things on the radio lately. The stories I heard this morning will definitely make you re-think how you do certain things....things that I know we have probably all done.

Story #1: The DJ told about a family who had been at a ball game and when they got to their car, they discovered it had been broken in to. The garage door opener and GPS unit had both been stolen. When they got home, they discovered their house had been robbed and anything of value was gone. The thieves had used the GPS to drive to the location stored as "home", then used the garage door opener to get into the house.

Morale of this story: Hide the GPS from view in your car, or take it with you!

Story #2: A lady had her purse stolen, which contained her credit cards, ATM card, and her cell phone. She used a pay phone to call her husband, to tell him about the theft. He told her he had gotten her text message and had sent her the PIN number for their ATM card, like she had asked him to. The thief had used her cell phone, texted the contact listed as "hubby" and asked for the PIN number. The couple went straight to the bank, only to discover that all their money had been withdrawn via the ATM 20 minutes before.

Morale of the story: If someone "texts" you for sensitive information: password, PIN number, etc; CALL them back and speak to them. Or better yet, DON'T GIVE THAT INFO OUT!!

The final thing they mentioned was to put an ICE contact in your phone...In Case of Emergency. I've heard about this before. It can be useful in situations when you are unable to call for yourself...injured, unconscious, etc. I don't think we've ever had to to do this on the scene with the fire department, but I can see how useful it could be.

We've got a GPS unit, and we have our "home" stored in the unit. On the visor above the driver seat in my car is my garage door opener. In my purse is my debit card and my cell phone.

Makes you think, doesn't it....

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks for the tips. I would hope no one would be stupid enough to text their ATM pin to someone. Wonder why her husband didn't think it odd she didn't already know what the pin was. I have an emergency contact stored in my phone under ICE for several years. I've always wondered if anyone ever found it if they would know what it meant. Hopefully they won't ever have to use it.

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know about the ICE. I'd have to have someone do that for me, seeing I don't even know how to turn the ringer off my phone.

Kim said...

Heather is so funny! Thanks for the advice - I have never heard of the ICE contact but will put one into my contacts on my phone. I do know how to do that.

KyleAmandaLogan said...

Great tips. I've heard of ICE but never done it. But the way the world is getting, I better do it! I fuss at Kyle all the time for leaving our deposit out in plain sight in his work truck. He never locks his work truck!!! I never carry my PIN number...So that's good!!! But thanks again for the tips.

~Heather, I can help you!