Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Where were you when the lights went out??

In the dark of course...



That's where we found ourselves tonight. There was a pretty bad car wreck not to far from our house. I saw it on my way home from work. It looked like a car had taken down a bunch of power lines or something.

About 5:30 or so the power went out. Buddy wasn't home from work yet, so Quinn and I went across the street to visit with Cookie for a while. When Buddy got home, the power was still out, and we needed to feed Quinn. We heated his baby food in a little sauce pan on the grill. We lit candles all over the living room and kitchen for a little bit of light so we weren't walking into walls.

I know people lived and survived with years before "modern" technologies were invented. I guess that's why the pioneers got up so early and daily life was "over" when the sun went down. But you know, now that we have these things, it really is hard to live without them. And having to live without these modern things and having an infant in the house really makes life difficult.

Thankfully the power came on a little before 8pm. Still, that's almost 3 hours.

I guess it could be worse. The last time this happened, it was mid-July, 98 degrees in the shade, and the power was off for 6 hours.

I'm sure life was great back then for those people. I'm just glad it's not me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure am glad your power came back on. At least Quinn go his supper off the grill tonight. Things taste better when they're grilled

Mom

Heather said...

We are spoiled, aren't we? I am like you though... I could live without alot of things in life, electricity isn't one of them!

Beth Cotell said...

I read about the accident in the paper this morning.

Glad you got your power back on!