Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Riding Away

Earlier this evening, while I was cooking supper, Buddy and Quinn went outside to play.  It's been so nice and warm the past few days....very unseasonable for NC in April, but hey, we'll take it!

After a while, I got a text from Buddy that said "Come outside please".  I thought to myself, what in the world...are we so high-tech that he can't even walk in the house to come get me?

So I went outside and instantly saw why I got the text.....


They had gone outside and Quinn finally learned to ride his bike!  We got him the bike last year for his birthday, and while he loved the gift, he never really got the hang of it. Summer came and went and still nothing. Then winter came and Buddy had to work out of town in Maryland. He's finally home, and I guess Quinn was ready!  And you can see in the picture, Buddy is running to keep up with him!


As he got closer to where I was standing, I couldn't help but tear up a little bit. 



The sheer happiness in himself is so evident on his face.  He could not believe he was able to ride his bike, and his future independence just smacked me in the face. Sure he's only 5 now and ten years seems like a long way away, but in another since, its just right around the corner. 

It won't be long before he'll be wanting to borrow the keys to the car, traveling around town. It won't be long before he'll be going off on his own.


As he pedaled on past me, it became increasingly clear.....he's only mine for a little while.  I only have a short time to teach him things about life and to teach him how to be a loving, caring, strong, independent individual.  I only have a short time.   But I have forever to pray for him and to love him.

Lord, help me to raise up my child in the way he should go,
so when he is old(er) he will NOT depart from it.

No comments: