Sunday, April 21, 2013

This is Buddy's most favorite meal that I make....

....and I'm not sure why.

I know his momma made a version of this when he was growing up. But I make other meals that she made and he likes them just as much. So I'm not sure why this is his favorite.  (Maybe I should ask him.)

What is this meal of which I speak?  Chicken (or Turkey) Tetrazini

I made it today with a turkey breast that I froze from my Thanksgiving turkey. I took a picture and posted it on my Instagram account. A few people asked for the recipe so here it is.   (You don't follow me on Instagram? You're missing out on my life....and the rest of the details!)

So here's the recipe and a picture before it went in the oven.  It is adapted from a recipe I found in a Southern Living magazine in 2003, not long after we got married.

Chicken (or Turkey) Tetrazini

3 and a half cups cooked chicken or turkey, chopped or diced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2/3 cup of milk
1 (16oz) jar of Alfredo sauce
12 ounces thin spaghetti noodles, cooked
1 (10-12 oz pack) of frozen peas
1 small can of mushrooms; chopped
1-1/2 cups of shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup crushed garlic/cheese flavored croutons

Directions:

1.) Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2.) Whisk together the soup and milk in a LARGE mixing bowl. Whisk in Alfredo Sauce.

3.) Add in the chicken or turkey and stir into the sauce.

4.) Add the noodles, peas, and mushrooms; toss with the sauce.

5.) Add all the Swiss and half the Parmesan cheese.

6.) Pour into a lightly greased 9x13 or bigger baking dish.

7.) Mix the crushed croutons and the rest of the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the top.

8.) Bake for 30 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

This tastes even better the next day!  And as a bonus, if you need to, it freezes well. Stop at step 6 and separate what you want to freeze. It can be frozen up to a month. Thaw overnight; bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

And this is what it looks like just before it goes in the oven.  (Imagine it golden brown and bubbly on top when finished!)


(Buddy just walked by and saw the picture...asked when we were having this again!)

(And in case your wondering why he likes the meal so much.....
His answer, "Because I just do.")    Well, there you go!

No comments: