So the Hodges have gotten all settled in down in Costa Rica. Michael and Amanda have been attending Spanish classes, while the kids have been going to school, and their son Jarrett recently graduated from K-5 kindergarten. They have a new “pet”….a gecko who comes into their house pretty often. They have nicknamed him “Geico”. They are able to get a dose of English now and then when they go to the movies. Apparently in Costa Rica, the movies are released in English, with Spanish subtitles.
One thing I’ve never mentioned about Michael and Amanda is how beautifully they sing. I remember them doing many solos/duets at my church back home for the “special music”. Michael has joined the Praise Team for the weekly chapel for the Adult students. He is beginning to be able to sing in Spanish, too. Most recently he learned the praise song "We Fall Down". (As a side note, we sang this song on Sunday. I was covered in goosebumps the whole time, imagining that while we were singing the song in English, the Hodges could have been at their church singing the song in Spanish. Isn't it amazing to know that God can understand us, no matter what language we speak to Him in??)
The most important thing for this month was that they changed the name of their blog. After much prayer and the call of God to serve others, the Hodges have changed their blog to “Seeking2serve”. This is based on the verse Mark 10:45 “…but the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve.” So from now own you can catch the Hodge Family at their new blog here.
1. Language Acquisition and retention.
2. Alexis and Jarrett as they go to “Spanish Camp”, their summer enrichment program
3. Opportunities to share Christ, even with limited Spanish knowledge
4. Laura, their next door neighbor, who is pregnant and due this summer. They do not indicate if she is Costa Rican or not, but I assume that she is. They are unaware of her spiritual condition.
5. They also request prayer for “a love for the people”.
Thanks for reading this month’s update. The Hodges are grateful for your prayers.