Thursday, August 2, 2012

New Recipe = New Family Favorite

A friend of mine from church recently started a recipe group on Facebook and invited me to join. I've seen lots of yummy things to try, but this one stood out, so I made it last week. I just wish I had taken a picture of it because it was soooooo yummy!  Buddy and I loved it. Quinn thought it was "too burny on my tongue Mommy", so next time I'm leaving out the chilies and Buddy can add hot sauce!

Fiesta Chicken Casserole


3 cup cooked chopped chicken
1 cup instant rice (uncooked)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat free)
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and chilies, undrained
1 Tbsp Southwestern or Taco seasoning
2 Tbsp milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips or Doritos

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine chicken, rice, soup, Rotel, seasoning, milk and 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Pour into a lightly greased 9x9 pan. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Top casserole with crushed chips and remaining cheese, bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
 
How I tweaked it.....
 
1.) I had no instant rice so I made some cooked rice in my rice cooker and then drained all the juice out of the tomatoes.
 
2.) To make it less spicy for kids, use tomatoes without chilies. And I used store brand, not Rotel....tasted fine.
 
3.) I didn't have any tortilla chips or Doritos...tasted fine without but I'm sure would taste good with.
 
Pair this with a vegetable, salad, or whatever side dish you think would go.
 
Thanks to my friend Kristen for posting this recipe on the Facebook Group!

No comments: