Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Other Grandma

I've said it before many times but I absolutely LOVE my grandma.  I lived next door to her until I was a junior in high school. When we moved, it was to a house about 5 minutes away. When I was in college we moved in WITH her.  She has been a major part of my life and I am so thankful for that influence she has had in my life.

When Quinn was learning to talk, he had a little trouble distinguishing between my mom (whom he called "Grandma") and my own Grandma (which would be his great-grandma).  I wanted him to call her GG...for "great grandma" but neither Mom nor Grandma cared for that name. They never said anything but I could tell by the look on their faces that GG would not work.  So we decided to see what Quin would call her and that would be it.

My parents came for a visit not long after that and Grandma did not come.  Quinn went out to the driveway to greet my parents, but looked confused. He looked at me and said "Where's da other Grandma?"  It took us a minute to realize it, but Quinn had officially given my Grandma her name. She LOVES it, and now signs all his cards Love, The Other Grandma!!

I wish we lived closer so Quinn and Jacob could experience the every-day love from this lady that I grew up with, but for now, we will cherish every moment we can get.


No comments: