Sunday, April 10, 2011

School Step Challenge

**This was originally written earlier this week, but I had some issues with publishing.....**

The PE teacher at my school had another cool idea this year. And this one did not involve duct tape!

She won a grant that she applied for that allowed her to get several really nice pedometers to use with students. But before she lets the kids use them, she asked teachers to compete in a step challenge.
For the next 4 weeks, there are about 20 or so us who are wearing pedometers from the minute we get up until the minute we go to bed. We are recording our steps each day and then adding them up for the week. At the end of the week we convert our steps to miles. At the end of the 4 weeks, the teacher who took the most steps wins.....bragging rights, plus a small pot of money! We each pitched in $5 to compete. I can't remember how many are in this challenge, but I know the pot is over $100!

Yesterday (Tuesday) was the first day of the challenge. I had to spend the day home from school with Quinn who was feeling a little under the weather. I managed to get in 10,515 steps though! We did have to run an errand in the afternoon and then went for a walk around the block after supper. I'm not to that number yet today, but there is still time.

I have also started using our Wii game unit again. I have the Wii Fit Plus and board, and Buddy got me the Biggest Loser game for Christmas. Here's hoping between these two games combined with the Step Challenge, I can even drop a few pounds. The numbers have definitely gotten to a point where I am frustrated with myself, so any time the scale goes down is a good thing.

If you know me in real life, I ask you to ask me about my steps. I would appreciate the encouragement and accountability!

1 comment:

Beth Cotell said...

I don't know you IRL but I would love for you to post your steps here every day or week...that way we can keep you accountable virtually! :)